Are you a Thai food lover? Do you need a gluten free diet? Well than you are going to LOVE this recipe for Tom Kha Gai soup…otherwise called Thai Coconut Soup. It is an amazingly delicious soup make with coconut milk, chicken and several authentic Thai ingredients. Tom Kha Gai soup is loaded with subtle flavors that burst in your mouth. It is soothing, refreshing and even gluten free!
Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe (AKA Thai Coconut Soup)
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Category: Entree
- 1/4 cup minced red shallots
- 10 Keffer Lime Leaves
- 1 (2 inch) Galangal Root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (2 inch) Ginger Root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Lime, zest
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 Stalks of Lemongrass, cut into 3 inch pieces sliced in half
- 3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 6 cups Chicken stock
- 2 cans Coconut Milk, cream or full fat
- 1 cup Shitake Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken Tenderloins, thinly sliced
- Before starting your stock, first prep all ingredients and set to the side.
- In a sauce pan add chicken stock, red shallots, Keffer lime leaves, Galangal root, Ginger root, lime zest, Lemongrass, and garlic.
- Allow to simmer on low – medium heat (DO NOT BOIL) for 10 minutes.
- Add Chicken and coconut milk to stock. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes (DO NOT BOIL).
- Add sugar, fish sauce, cilantro and lime juice to soup. Simmer for 5 minutes (allow the flavors to fully merge).